How can I fix a mistake on my background check?

If you become aware that a background check company has produced a report on you that is incorrect or contains errors, you have a right to dispute the contents of the report. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, background check companies are required to reinvestigate any disputed information reported within 30 days of receiving a dispute.

Many background check companies have forms that you can use to submit a dispute or you can send the background check company a letter that describes your dispute.

To ensure that the background check company receives your dispute, you should send it by certified mail with a return receipt requested. You should also attach copies of any documents that show that information was reported incorrectly. After completing its reinvestigation, the background check company is required to inform you of the results of the reinvestigation.

If you have been the subject of a background check that was incorrect or contained errors, our law firm may be able to help you dispute the report. Please contact us today.

Background Check Issues?

Our attorneys will evaluate your background report for free. We’ll gather the details and discuss your options.

Click here to begin.